Friends for Dinner
As we look towards Thanksgiving, our desire is to celebrate and give thanks to God. There are two specific ways we are encouraging you to practice thanksgiving this year:
1 - Host friends, neighbours, or colleagues for a Thanksgiving meal. Let the joy of the Lord be contagious as you celebrate the goodness and greatness of God.
2 - Partner with Friends for Dinner, an organization that matches international student with host families to celebrate Thanksgiving Dinner. Full details and registration information can be found here.
Or, do both! What better way to welcome an international student than with other friends and family members.
Westboro FUSE is a vibrant, epic and free two-day street party and neighbourhood showcase, which will ignite and light up the streets with interactive, family-friendly programming, restaurants offering “al fresco” dining, rooftop patios, unplugged music jams, culinary experiences, street performers, cooling lounges and ice pop vendors.
WestVillage Church is encouraging people to partner with the Westboro Region Food Bank by signing up to shake a donation can.
If you can spare an hour or more, please sign up for a time slot using the link below.
Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:
1) Click this link to see our SignUp on SignUp.com
2) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
3) Sign up! It's Easy - you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
South Sudan Famine Relief
WestVillage will be matching donations made to World Relief Canada to support the relief efforts for the South Sudan Famine before June 30th, to a maximum of $5,000. The Canadian Government is also matching donations made by June 30th, which means that in the end each dollar donated by someone at WestVillage church will result in $4 of aid dollars. This means we can end up with $20,000 towards the relief efforts! Please send proof of donation (receipt email or screenshot) to Courtney before June 30th
The Big Give
We are taking part in the Big Give, along with about one hundred churches across the country! This year, we're at Roy Duncan Park again to share some love with the surrounding community. There will be a pancake breakfast, bounce houses, carnival games, and balloon animals. We are still looking for a few volunteers to help with the morning. If you are able to volunteer from 8:30am - 12:30pm (or for a 2 hour shift at the start/end), please contact Courtney.
Operation Baby Bottle
Take home an empty baby bottle on May 14 (Mother’s Day) from the Connect Table, and return it filled with cheques, bills and coins on June 18 (Father’s Day) to support First Place Options.
Who is First Place Options?
First Place is an Ottawa based Christian service organization that provides information and support to those facing an unintended pregnancy. They also offer support to women and men dealing with the effects of an abortion.
- Art Supplies: each Sunday until Easter (April 16th), we will be collecting supplies for visual art projects during the drop-in time at Haven Youth Shelter. Please consider bringing the following: sketch pads, HB pencils, 2B pencils, 4B pencils, kneadable erasers, regular erasers (pink or white), blending stumps
- Good Friday Supper: One of our Cgroups will be providing a special Good Friday meal and serving as volunteers for the drop-in on April 14th. We are looking for volunteers to help with the planning & preparation over the next few weeks, and serving during the event. Contact Sandra to get involved
- Monetary donations: all donations made using the specially marked love4thevillage offering envelopes during March & April will be directed to Restoring Hope Ministries to provide supplies for Haven Youth Shelter, purchase furniture for apartments secured for street-engaged youth, and support the growth of the ministry. We want to be abundantly generous, as God has been with us.
Reverse Advent Food Box
Starting on December 1st, fill a basket or box with one item for the food bank every day until December 24th. On Christmas Eve, bring your basket or box to our Christmas Eve service at 4pm at Notre Dame High School. There will be a collection area in the lobby outside of the auditorium.
Start now, by finding a box or basket to collect your items. Have fun as a family designing your box like the one above or by simply decorating a large box with wrapping paper. Allow the kids to go shopping at the store or in your pantry to fill the box with items! Talk about giving to others during this Christmas season in Jesus’ name because of God’s great gift to us – Jesus!
Needed items include: laundry detergent, canned fish (in particular salmon & sardines), canned fruit, oatmeal & healthy breakfast cereals, healthy soups, canned tomatoes
Carling Family Shelter
WestVillage Church will be delivering Christmas packages this year to the families living in the Carling Family Shelter. Everyone who signs up will choose what family they would like to sponsor and take note of the age and gender of each family member. Please plan on spending around $10 - $15 a person, and we are looking to buy hats, gloves, scarves, and/or socks for the children and a gift card for food (Tim Hortons or groceries) for the adults. Please purchase your items, package them together and bring them to WestVillage Church on or before Sunday, December 18. The church will be delivering them to the shelter after we have collected them. We will have the sign-up sheet of families at church on December 4 and 11. Please email Sandra if you have any questions.